News Updates October 2012

Bite Size NewsUpdates from the HSE

Regular Information and links for you and your business put together in one easily accessible email.

Hello All, I’m Rebecca, Marketing Manager at Grove Services (UK) Limited.  

I will be sending out regular monthly news bites and would really appreciate your feedback. We want to ensure we are giving you what you want! I look forward to hearing from you.

Connect with me:

LinkedIn: Rebecca Manion

Twitter: @Grove_Rebecca

WALKERS FINED!

Walkers Snack Foods Ltd has been fined after a 400 kilogramme block of compacted snack waste fell on a worker, breaking his leg. The employee was working as a forklift truck driver at the company’s site in Lincoln, when the incident happened. He was trying to put the block into a wheeled bin when the bin overturned and the compacted waste landed on him, fracturing his lower left leg.

Lincoln Magistrates’ Court heard that waste pellets from the Quavers production line ran off a machine into a magnum bin -
a large plastic box with slots underneath for the forks of a forklift truck.

The pellets solidified into a large block, which could not be dug out of the magnum so the worker and a colleague used the forklift to turn the magnum over so the block fell out. But as the block was then lifted into the wheeled bin, it became stuck at the top. When the two men attempted to move the bin, it tipped over causing the block of pellets to fall onto the employee.

He was off work for 15 weeks but has since returned to work with the company.

The company was fined a total of £20,000 and ordered to pay costs of £10,000.

SAFETY SIGNS

I am still on the look out for interesting / funny health & safety signs and notices. If you email one, I will give you and your company a shout out!

GAS WORK WAS UNSAFE

An Essexfireplace installation company has been fined after their inadequate work on domestic gas pipes put a family’s life at risk in their own home.

The company was hired to install a new fireplace. Due to a shortage of staff, the company’s retired director Mr H, was sent out to prepare the area. He removed a section of gas pipe that was protruding through the floor and carpet and then capped the pipe underneath the floorboards with a compression joint. When the householder got home from work after a late shift,
he immediately smelt a strong gas odour throughout the house including in the main bedroom, where his wife was sleeping.

The Court was told that the company had failed to use a competent and Gas Safe registered engineer to ensure that the work carried out on the property had been properly completed, therefore putting lives at risk.

They were fined £4,000 and ordered to pay £10,000 costs

 

Visit our web page to download free self-user risk assessments, templates and manuals.

http://www.groveservices.co.uk


The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice, promoting training, new or revised regulations and codes of practice, and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement.

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 news