News Updates May 2012

Hello All, Rebecca again, Marketing Manager at Grove Services (UK) Limited.  

I will be sending out regular monthly news bites and would really appreciate your feedback. We want to ensure we are giving you what you want!

 I look forward to hearing from you.

Connect with me:

LinkedIn: Rebecca Manion

Twitter: @Grove_Rebecca

==========================================================

RESPITE RESIDENT SCALDED

The Isle of Wight Council has been fined£12,000 after an elderly resident staying in respite care was seriously scalded at a care home. The HSE prosecuted the local authority for failing to have the correct shower fitting at a resource centre, which led to the incident. Magistrates’ Court heard that on the 30 October 2009, Mr L 76, was staying at the respite
residential care facility. Mr L entered the bathroom, undressed, turned on theshower and sat on the bath’s hoist seat below the shower unit. Unfortunately very hot water from the shower sprayed onto his lower back, scalding him severely and causing 13 per cent burns. The HSE investigation found the shower fitting was not suitable for use in a healthcare facility and was not installed with a thermostatic mixing valve (TMV), which would have limited the temperature to 41°C. The investigation also found the council had no system for maintaining those TMVs already in place, and had no system for taking water temperatures. Isle of Wight Council pleaded guilty and was fined £12,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,133.

ILLEGAL TATTOOIST FOUND OUT BY FACEBOOK

An unregistered tattoo artist who ran his business from his “dirty and unhygienic bedroom” has been prosecuted for putting members of the public at risk.

HAVE KIDS? CHILD SAFETY WEEK COMING UP!

Follow the link for more details:

http://www.childsafetyweek.org.uk./

PAT-A-CAKE, BAKERS MAN

A baker has been the subject of the HSE’s first proactive prosecution for failing to protect workers from exposure to flour dust. The HSE had visited the site to investigate an incident involving a worker and a ladder. Whilst they was there, they spotted several other safety risks. Later with the help of experts from the Health and Safety Laboratory, it was identified that workers were being exposed to six times the legal limit of flour dust. In court, the bakery was fined £1000 for each breach of safety, and ordered to pay £6000 in costs.

RECEPTIONIST LUNCH BREAK FALL

The manager of a Sheffielddental practice has been fined for safety failings after a receptionist fell more than three metres through a roof light while spending her lunch break on the flat roof of the surgery. The woman sat on the domed roof light, not realising how fragile it was. The plastic of the roof light gave way and she fell to the floor injuring her back, shoulder, knee and neck and was hospitalised. It was also discovered that at least five other workers had used the roof, and were at risk of falling from the roof edge or through the roof lights. The court heard the flat roof of the dental practice, was easily
reached using a door on the first floor of the main building. Although the door was locked, the key was left hanging nearby. The Dental company was fined £18,500 with costs of £71,632.79.

Visit our web page to download free self-user risk assessments, templates and manuals.

http://www.groveservices.co.uk

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice, promoting training, new or revised regulations and codes of practice, and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement.

 

Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 news